Saturday, June 20, 2009

Taxi Driver

One thing good about this part of the world is that you are closer to home and you can talk to shopkeepers and taxi drivers in hindi. It gives you a sense that you might be in some part of India.
Most of the taxi drivers here are pathans. Some are really very inquisitive. Once you are in their cab they think its their birth right to know everything about you.
“Aap pakistan se hai” Asked my taxi driver
If you are wearing a salwar kameez and don’t have a bindi on your forehead people think you are a pakistani.
“nahi” I replied
” accha India se hai”
” jee ha”
“Lekin aap Kerela walla nahi dekhta”
For most of the pathans all Indians are from kerela
” Hum Kerela se nahi hai”
“Aap kidhar se hai?”
“Bombay”
“Accha Bambai aur Kerela mai bahut farak hai??”
“nahi”
I don’t know what farak he was talking about.
“Aapka umar kitna hoga” he asked
Frankly I didn’t know how to react. So I just kept chewing my gum and was busy searching for something in my handbag. Before I could even think of some answer he said, ” mera khayal se 30-35 hoga”
“Accha majee, Cheekoo hai ?” ( Cheekoo in arabic means Child)
I was quite shocked to be addressed as majee. Till now people have addressed me as didi or aunty but never majee. And imagine this old pathan calling me maaji
I just nodded my head in yes.
“Kitna cheekoo hai” he asked
This conversation was making me a bit uncomfortable now
“Do”
He seemed to be surprised and asked, “Kyu ??? Ye India walla cheekoo mai bhi itna kanjoose karta hai. hamara mashallah!!! 12 cheekoo hai mulook mai” He seemed to be quite proud of his achievements.
“majee aap kaam karta hai??”
“maaajjjeeee???”
“nahi nahi hum BBBaaaajjjjjjeeee bolaya”
“phir thik hai”
I paid the fare and as I was getting down the cab I heard him talk to himself,” hum India ka eisa namuna pahle kabhi nahi dekha”
I don’t really know what he ment by that. But I did had a good laugh

No comments: